Thursday, August 30, 2007

A BRAVE NEW WORLD

During the time that I have been blogging I have seen that many people see the world in different ways. Just Me is a true philosopher and has great insight., Ticblog has a great eye and sees the world in a wonderful way with her camera. Bruno sees the world as a loner who has a heart of gold in spite of his gruff manner. Lin has her adventures and the gift of being able to describe them with words. Babzy with her wicked sense of humour and ability to bounce back. Each one of us sees the world in a different light.

And during this past year, especially the last couple of weeks, I have a new way of seeing the world. It is a way that I have not used in years. I have seen the world through the eyes of someone who has never seen the world. Of course, I mean my grand-moose Owen.

As some of you know my wife and I babysit him almost everyday for about two hours. During those hours, Owen and I have our special time together. I take him for a walk in his stroller. It is good for my back and a good bonding experience for both of us.

During these walks we stop to feel the textures of different types of trees and leaves. Some, like a cedar are soft. Some, like a pine are hard and prickly. Some leaves are different shapes and colours. Trees trunks can be smooth or rough. Pine cones can be hard but brittle.
As we go along we stop at fire hydrants with there bright yellow colour. Then it is on to the mail boxes which make a great drum sound when hit hard enough. The power boxes and street lamps all make different sounds and each has a different feel.

The sand at the playground is a must. Sometimes it can be wet and sticky and sometimes warm and able to run through your fingers.But always fun for digging.

The last couple of days we have changed our route. We know go over to a pond that is home to ducks and geese. It takes him a few minutes to realize they are there. But, once they start to move into the water with their waddling gate, they became an object of intense scrutiny. And also great amusement. For some reason, these birds make him laugh out loud and talk? with great excitement. Owen will sit there for the longest time, just watching the geese and ducks as they swim. He will point to different ones and make some comment. And as most babies are, he is a great mimic. As the geese honk back and forth to each other, he joins in with almost exactly the same sound.

And when they take flight with the great flapping of wings, he is delighted. He will watch very quietly and wave good-bye.

As for me, I too delight in the sights and sounds as I see and hear them with his innocence. I will try to teach him to always be in awe of nature around him. And to look at each new experience with delight.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Catmoves said...

moose, you're an old softy. Kinda thought you were.
Enjoy teaching your grand mooose and enjoy his teaching you. A whole new world is waiting for you both. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Moose, this is my favourite post of yours. I felt like I was walking along with you and little Owen.

I've had the worst day ever and when I read your description of me being able to bounce back I hope you're right. It gave me some hope. I can't see it in myself but maybe we just can't see ourselves as clearly as someone else can.

Thanks for being you.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: I'm so sorry to hear you are not having a good day.
I know you can bounce back and so do the others who read your blog. Stay Strong.

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: You're right. When it comes to him , I am a softy.
I can hardly wait to take him kite-flying and fishing. He'll love it.

Hope Walls said...

Moose - I often get so caught up in my own stupid day-to-day crap that I forget to look through my own kids' eyes. Sometimes I need to be reminded to get excited about ducks and geese. For that very reason I like having my children and my camera with me because I have 4 extra pairs of eyes. Lots of the pictures I take are pictures they ask me for, and then we all come home and enjoy them. "That was that seagull who kept stealing everyone's fries! And there are the frogs we caught - remember? There were like, SO MANY!"

What a wonderful thing, to be filled with awe an wonder, all the time. Ain't kids just the bestest things EVER?

alphonsedamoose said...

TICBLOG: I think to look with awe and wonder is very special. I can see it in your pictures you post. The best, I think, is trying to see it through the eyes of a baby for the first time.

Lin said...

Alphonse, that was a wonderful post. If we lose that original sense of wonder after life kicks us around, at least it is possible to rediscover it through the eyes of the little newcomers, be they human or animal. You captured that so perfectly.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: AHHH Thanks. I love watching him discover new things and listen to him laugh with delight. We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful boy.

Bonita said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, with your grandson. You'll always cherish these memories as he grows up. I, too, enjoy watching the antics of ducks and geese, and sometimes sea otters. Yesterday I wandered along a trail by the zoo in Point Defiance Park, and lo and behold 6 reindeer were walking along the fence just feet away. I thought, "such good fortune!"

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words, Moose, but the beauty of this post outshines anything I have read in a long, long time. Owen is so fortunate to have a Grandpa like you.

alphonsedamoose said...

Just Me: Thank you very much for your very kind words.
I think your poems and posts of your son far outshine anything I have ever done.
God Bless

alphonsedamoose said...

Bonia: It IS a great time with him. I can hardly wait until e can fly kites and go fishing together. Or maybe, just a quiet walk in the woods.
I think that is the thing kids are missing today-- quiet walks and seeing the beauty of the natural world.

BRUNO said...

Thought I had better stop and "talk" this time, usually just pass thru unspoken!

You hit it right, dude! Everybody has his or her own little quirks---that's what makes us human, huh?

alphonsedamoose said...

Bruno, You got that right my friend. You just continue to drop by and talk or not.