Thursday, August 16, 2007

SAND AND KIDS


What is it about sand that kids just love? Today, my son and I took Owen for his daily walk. He has certain places where he likes to stop and feel things.

When we went today, we decided to stop at the playground in our neighbourhood. It has the usual assortment of swings, slides and climbing apparatus. And surrounding it all is a giant sandbox. We let Owen out of his stroller to play on the grass and immediately he headed for the sand. As far as I know he has never been in a sandbox before.

At first he was hesitant to get in but after feeling the sand for a bit, away he went. And as you can see, he started to dig. He had his right foot covered in no time and a few seconds later, his whole leg. He would lean as far forward as he could and scoop the sand towards himself. Pretty soon . he had a good sized pile. Then he would pick up what he could in his hands and let the sand dribble through his fingers. He was fascinated watching it. He also had to do what all kids his age do. He had to taste it. (Don't tell his mother).

When we got home he got a diaper change(from Mrs. Moose) in case he had sand in there. What a way to get diaper rash. Fortunately --nothing.

But what is it about sand and kids? They just love to dig it seems.

Can you tell I am reliving my childhood with him?
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Bonita said...

Very sweet posts. Maybe Owen will drive a dump truck some day...filled with sand. My kids loved these kinds of activities, too.

alphonsedamoose said...

Bonita: I think most kids do. Owen's dad drives a dragster as a hobby so he comes by the love of cars and driving naturally.

Anonymous said...

Kids have a way of giving us a second chance at childhood fun. I enjoy my little nephew and nieces very much, too. That's all we do is play and horse around. Auntie doesn't have very many rules.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: Great isn't it. We always told our kids that we would spoil our grandchildren rotten and then send them home

Hope Walls said...

My kids love the sand, too. My middle son actually liked all kinds of dirt. Didn't even want ketchup to wash it down.

I don't have any nieces and nephews to spoil yet, and no grandkids for about 12 or 14 or hopefully more years, God willing lol...

Unknown said...

Kids are fascinated by everything. And sand is like dirt, but somehow cleaner. My kids would sit for hours in the sandbox, making cities, empires, and then starting all over again.

Its the wonder in their eyes.

alphonsedamoose said...

Just me : You're right. They can imagine all sorts of things

alphonsedamoose said...

Ticblog: Grand ids are as good as our own kids.

Catmoves said...

I wonder moose, if grandkids aren't better than our kids. We can always hand them off when we're tired.
And you need to learn to change Owen's diaper. First off, stand at the foot of the changing table with him on his back. Then undo the doohickees that hold the diaper in place....

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: Be careful what you say. Mrs. Moose reads these comments and doesn't need any ideas about me changing diapers. LOL