Sunday, July 1, 2007

CANADA DAY

Today , our country turns 140 years old. From the time we received our independence from Britain, Canada has done many great things. We have had world leaders in medicine, literature, politics and science. We are one of the richest countries in the world when it comes to natural resources such as oil, gas, gold, nickel and diamonds. Fresh water and "clean air" are two of our greatest assets. We are a world supplier of foodstuffs. We also have vast amounts of land that are truly unspoiled. We have diverse cultures that are celebrated for the most part.

For most of these 140 years we have had the longest undefended border in the world with the U.S. Unfortunately this has changed in the last few years. We have far more in common with the Americans than with any other country in the world and we really need to get back to treating each other as friends and neighbours rather than with suspicion and distrust. Just as the Americans supply us with many manufactured gods, we supply the Americans with much raw materials to make those goods.

We have always been able to cross the border with relative ease but now require a passport. Some towns actually have the border running right down the middle of the town. Now people need a passport to cross the street. Much of the animosity we see out there , in both countries, is because of Homeland Security. The Canadians did not let the 9-11 terrorists into the US. When the skies needed to be cleared of air traffic, Canada opened its airspace and airports to American planes. We were true friends.

Most Americans I have met a great people and I really enjoy talking to them . The bloggers I have met are no different. You are all fine people and I enjoy each and every one of your blogs. I think we all agree that we just want to live our lives in peace and friendship.

So, Happy Canada Day and Happy Fourth of July to my American friends!!!

12 comments:

Catmoves said...

Happy Canada Day moose. Here's a link you might appreciate:
http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/ncc_web_content_page.asp?cid=16297-16298-22876&lang=1&bhcp=1

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat Thanks very much.I try the link

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat; Good site. I have some relatives who live in Ottawa and my oldest daughter worked there for 2 years. Beautiful clean city.

Anonymous said...

Happy Canada Day, Moose. Great post. It saddens me too that we've lost the trust between our two countries. I live only a few kilometres from the border and I haven't been down to the states in over ten years since some scary guys in Bellingham threatened me and my young son with violence when they saw my Canadian license plate. Nothing serious. I just drove away.

I was more sad than afraid or angry. I know it was only a couple of jerks out of many millions of great people.

At the time the US had a mad-on for Canada, can't remember why, so I thought it wise to just stay away for awhile till things cooled down. But I never did go back. Couldn't think of a good reason. And now I think the damage is too great to mend. Wait and see.

Lin said...

Happy Canada Day! No moose patties on the grill today, I suppose.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: Thought we would have cow "patties" instead

Anonymous said...

How about peppermint patties?

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: that sounds good

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Congratulations to you and your country. I've always thought we were one and I hate to see the border policies changed over these nut cases, but what can you do.

Here's to years of living side-by-side my friend!

alphonsedamoose said...

Mushy, I'll drink to that. Let's hope we can get back to the way we were. Happy 4th of July

Anonymous said...

I'll join you in that drink.

Many years ago the border was completely open. There was no visible line. People went back and forth all the time everywhere along the 49th. I think that little town you described, Moose, is one of the last monuments to that easy time.

Both countries have had their reasons for tightening up border crossings. This is just one more change and probably not the last.

Hey, maybe I'll do a post on this. We have an interesting history of rum-running across the border.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: I agree with you that the orders were tightened for good reasons. I jut think they went overboard as far a Canadian citizens go. Us e a high tech license or something instead of a passport.