Monday, July 23, 2007

HARRY POTTER and THE MAKE-A-READER

I am sure, everybody knows that this past week was the release of the new Harry Potter book. It is truly a world-wide phenomena. I have not read any of the books myself but it has sure made a difference for one of my kids.

He is A very smart person but has always had trouble reading. In school he hated reading. It did not matter what it was, he did not read. And then came Harry.

Mrs. Moose works as a teacher's aide and the year the first Harry Potter came out, my wife read it at school. It was a library book and so, she signed it out and brought it home. She suggested to my son, who was now out of school that he should read it. With some difficulty he did. And it opened up a whole new world for him. Since then he has read every Harry Potter book that has been written. Not only that but he has learned to enjoy reading. He has read all the James Patterson books and anything else he can get his hands on. In the last year , he has read over 160 books. Not only does he read them but he remembers them. He has discussions with his oldest sister and brother about each book.

When it was announced that this last book of Harry Potter was coming out, he immediately ordered one. When it came out he was in line to get his along with his brother and sister who had also ordered it. For the next day , we did not see or hear from any of them. They were reading. And when we got together for a family supper the three of them sat for hours discussing the new book. That is something I would never have imagined "Before Harry".

My son is quite proud of himself and his ability to read now and so am I. He has even talked me into reading the books. So if you know a non-reader young person or anybody out there , give them a Harry Potter book. Maybe it will
work for them too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To turn a non-reader in an avid reader is amazing. Hooray for Harry!!

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: It really is amazing. It has also been great for his self-esteem. He doesn't feel stupid.

Lin said...

Hey, Moose, you posted the joke so quickly after this post that I missed this one entirely!

Reading is the main key to our independent ability to discover and analyze our universe - so glad that your son was able to master this vital tool.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: You got that right. I had this in draft before I posted the joke. When I finished it posted before the joke. I don't know how to change the date.