Monday, July 16, 2007

GRANDSON MOOSE

I would like to tell you that this is a picture of my Grandson welcoming me home after my back surgery. That would not be the truth.

When The Edmonton Oilers won four Stanley Cups in a five year span one of their star players was a guy named Mark Messier. He was big, strong , fast and had a shot that was a rocket at times. He was also mean. Not just to be mean but mean as in intense and wanting to win the game. Wayne Gretzky was on the same team and was the big star, but for my money, Messier was the heart and soul of that team. Players that played with him said you could just look at him and see the fire in his eyes. Opponents said you could see and feel the intensity, but that he was not a dirty player as so many others were.

He would hit you and hit you hard when he checked you but legally and not with a high elbow or stick. Not that he never did these things. Intimidation and payback are part of the game and Messier took his share of penalties.

He played the game for 22years and when he retired he was #2 on the all-time scoring list. He could be skating at top speed and suddenly let a shot go from the circle that just blew past the goaltender. He often shot off his wrong foot or simply skated around opposing players. He gave 100% every game an often played hurt. He was the consummate pro.

Since I was a Montreal Canadiens fan, there were many times that I disliked Messier intensely. But I respected the man they nicknamed Moose
When they retired his jersey this year in Edmonton , it was a week long event. Tickets were sold out months in advance. Scalpers were getting $5000.00 for a ticket to the game. My youngest son was given 2 tickets so he took his oldest sister. The antlers in the picture are a souvenir they brought home.

Actually, maybe I should say they were my welcome home. Anybody believe me?

6 comments:

Lin said...

Ohhh! Now that is the cutest baby moose I have seen in a long time! You need to bring that hat along when you take him camping.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: what a great idea. A chip off the old moose.

Catmoves said...

Cute, darling grandson moose. I can see how easy it would be for him to wrap you around his fingers.
And I believe anything you tell me. And the moon is made of green cheese. And the sun and planets revolve around earth. And you can run your car on a mix of turpentine and bath water.

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: so true on all counts

Anonymous said...

I luuuuuuv Mark Messier.

Chip? Betcha can't eat just one.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: Wasn't that a great commercial. I always thought Messier was more valuable than Gretzky