Friday, July 13, 2007

HOT, HOT, HOT

Today is extremely hot here in Alberta. At 8:00 A.M. it was already 30 degrees. Because we live in a cold climate, we don't have air conditioning so we make do with what we can. We have at least five fans going in the house and are sitting around in our pyjamas. Kaito is hogging one of the fans and Coco is hogging another.

Because of my operation , I still have to wear my corset with an undershirt beneath it. This , of course, makes it even hotter. Mrs. Moose said I just need to get a wet handkerchief on my head and I would look like an old Greek from Montreal.

If it gets any hotter, we may have to put some ice in a bowl and blow the air from the fan over that.It actually works very well. I guess this is what we get for complaining about our cold winters. This year was not bad as it only went to -30, but some years we can get to -50 . That's cold.

In the winter we plug our cars in so that they start in the morning. The block heater was a great invention. In some places, like the oil sands, the companies just let their vehicles run all the time or they may not get them restarted. I think that will have to change because of the climate issue.

Even the plants are starting to wilt. And those are the ones in my pond! I really feel sorry for my dogs, especially Kaito, as he is an all black German Shepherd. He really feels the heat. We try to keep them inside as much as possible.And it is supposed to go to 35 later today.

I am going to lie down under my fan and take off my corset so I can get cool. Take care all.

13 comments:

Lin said...

Moose, don't worry abut Mrs. Moose's comments on the head gear. You still need a micro Speedo to achieve 'the look' - ask anyone who's ever been on a beach south of the Mason-Dixon line.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: If I had "the look" I could be arrested for not having a permit for a concealed weapon. LOL

Anonymous said...

We hit 35 the other day which is very unusual for the coast. But we NEVER get as cold as minus 50. Maybe minus 10 at the coldest. Of course we're not prepared for that either.

My Mom likes to tell stories about growing up in Manitoba in the 1920's. Heating consisted of a wood stove and they had to go to an out house even in the dead of winter. Can you imagine?

Anonymous said...

Oh I almost forgot.

http://bloggin-babzy.blogspot.com

Thank you Moose for thinking of me. I haven't put any on my list but I have them all on my desktop.

david mcmahon said...

G'day Alphonse,

I must be Canadian - I hate the heat too!

Cheers

David

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: Yes , we get to -50 and that is darn cold.
Did your mother also tell you she had to walk 12 miles both ways to school and i was always uphill with snow feet deep. I used to hear those stories too.
Thanks for the blog address. I'll add you on.

alphonsedamoose said...

David: welcome aboard. G'day sounds like an Aussie to me but what do I know. I'm just a moose.Lin told me to talk to you. We go back almost 40 years. Would you mind doing a critique for me. I really would appreciate the help.

Lin said...

Moose, David will be exceedingly helpful with your blog. He's one of those gents who runs incredibly altruistic (rare, if not nearly extinct).
Forty years indeed! Maybe thirty five at best - don't rush the season, not at this stage of life!
We've hit 15 below in New Mexico winters already. One of these days, I will post about our initial effluence arrangements during those times. You will chuckle, no doubt.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: I had my bike in 1971. So 36 years right there. Can't wait to read about your arrangements.Afraid to think.

Lin said...

Geez, Moose, my Combat Commando didn't even come out until 1972 ... hymphhh ... 35 years max and I'm sticking to it! No haggling allowed!

alphonsedamoose said...

Sorry Lin: Same year hank got his 850.

Anonymous said...

Moose, remember your story about "All Women tell the truth" or something like that. I'm sure Lin is right about the number of years you go back.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: Since 1971 I'm almost absolutely positively without a doubt clear in my mind that I am correct. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.LOL