Thursday, September 20, 2007

PRESENTS FOR OWEN

I love to do woodworking. It keeps me on my toes and hopefully in total control of my faculties. I try to make my projects without using screws and nails if at all possible.

When Kristin told us she was going to have Owen, she also asked me to make a cradle. I had made one when our oldest was born. It served all our children well. The design and style , Kristin left up to me. The first one had been a rocking style so I decided that this new one would be a swinging cradle.

After spending some time working out the size and how to fit everything together, I got busy. I decided to use laminated pine, 3/4 inches thick, and 20 inches wide. it is reasonably light and easy to work with. It also takes stain very well. The swing rm is made of 1 1/16 inch maple.

The top picture is a look at the nearly finished product. The base is made of 5 pieces , each pegged together with a tight fit. I did this so that the base could be taken apart and be portable for camping. The cradle itself is glued and pegged together. Not a nail or screw anywhere. The swing arms are pegged on one side of the upright and on the inside of the cradle. Pull the pegs and the cradle detaches from the base.

I stained it with a water base, non-toxic stain. Then 3 coats of a water base, non-toxic Verathane.

We bought bedding foam or the mattress and bumpers. Mrs. Moose sewed the covers for them.

The last picture is one of the quilts Mrs. Moose has made. It was made especially for Owen, Each little circle is a separate piece. The quilt is about 4 feet by 6 feet. Lots of time and love was put into the making of this.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Lin said...

Awww, Moose, you and the missus did a knock-out job on that project. JUST beautiful!

Bonita said...

Simply wonderful, Alphonse! I can almost feel how smooth that wood is. My father also enjoyed working with wood, and made a doll's cradle and nic-nac shelves for me. I now have some of his old tools, worn smooth with his labor.

Have you seen Dick Proenneke's craftsmanship on his cabin in Alaska? There is a CD, "Alone in the Wilderness", that shows his remarkable craftsmanship, with door hinges, etc. He wrote the journal of the same name, and is one of my most admired individuals.

I'll also recommend to you and your family a movie that I just rented from our library called "The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn", with Sidney Poitier playing the lead. His character is so beautiful, and should you find this film (I'm not sure it is in Canada), please note the beauty of his toolbox, his barn interior, and the simple wooden spoon he used for his apple brandy. Such lovely craftmanship.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: Thank so much. See, he had stolen our hearts before he was born.

alphonsedamoose said...

Bonita: Thank very much. I love the feel of wood as it takes shape. Some of the tools I used for this are older then I am. I remember my father had them when I was a little kid. Old tools are sometimes the best tools. They last for years.
I will look for the CD and the movie.One of my favorite shows on TV is "The Woodwright Shoppe". I really have to look hard to find it.

Hope Walls said...

Will you be my grandparents, too?

alphonsedamoose said...

Ticblog: I probably would---except you have kids and that would make me a great- grandpa. I am MUCH TOO YOUNG for that. LOL

Catmoves said...

moose you're too handy for your own good. I made a footstool in high school woodworking that mom and dad had for at least 30 years. I couldn't even begin to do that today. So, anyway, I have this idea for 3 story, triangular shaped barn to store some of FHB's toys in. Interested?
I am told that if you do things for people (read babies) without hope for, nor need for, a reward, they can wrap you around their fingers. Think there's any truth in that?

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: Sure I'm interested, but I don't have a passport.
As for the wrap around the little finger----no, I am a stalwart tough SOB that needs reward. If you believe that I am selling a mountain just west of here.
LOL

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat. To prove it, just read my blog"NOT MT KEYS"

Unknown said...

Beautiful things for little Owen. Hand made with love and care. Now, where were you when I was young and frisky?? Or better yet, where was I?....nevermind.....

Owen has the bestest grandparents in the world methinks.

alphonsedamoose said...

Just me: Ahh thanks for the compliment. Why didn't you call me when you were young and frisky?Oh Oh. Did I say that? LOL
Loved your last poem.

Anonymous said...

Yes, that pesky passport problem. It's not fair. Moose I don't have one either so we can't go and visit these folks yet.

The cradle and the quilt are amazing. No nails or screws. Wow. They're beautiful keepsakes for your family.

My Dad was a great hobby carpenter. His projects were perfectly aligned but I'm pretty sure he used nails and screws.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: I still have to apply for a passport.
I am also just a hobby carpenter but it is fun. The original cradle is going to my oldest. I just have to spruce it up a bit and it will be good as new.

Anonymous said...

Moose, I just realized I've been down this road already but missed the last several posts. Never mind. I'll get caught up eventually.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy, That's Okay. You're welcome here anytime. Better late than never.