Tuesday, June 5, 2007

TIME OFF

Today will be fairly short. I will not be blogging for the next week or so as tomorrow I go into the hospital to get fixed. No, not the kind of fixed that you do to a dog. The kind of fixed where hopefully the doctors can relieve your pain.

For over a year now, I have been off work on disability. I have what they call spinal stenosis. This occurs when you rupture a disk between your vertebrae. Then one bone rubs on top of another bone and also irritates the nerves. On the disk above, I also have a cyst growing in the spinal canal and pushing in the spinal cord. This causes pain to start at your hip and shoot down to the bottom of your foot. In the last year, I have had trouble standing for more than five minutes. Makes it impossible to hike or fish.

So tomorrow I get fixed. Two titanium rods joining three vertebra, then a bone graft over top. Eight to twelve weeks of recovery after that. During this time I will have to wear a special corset(n0, there won't be pictures) and use a walker to get around while the graft takes. No up and down stairs, no mowing the grass, no gardening, no hiking fishing or golfing. But most of all, no PAIN.

So, take care all, see you in about a week.

7 comments:

Lin said...

Here's to the Moose and a more pain-free future!!! You'll be up and doing the geriatric sideways splits in no time flat ... you'll see!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alphonsedamoose said...

Thanks Lin. Talk to you in a week or so.

Anonymous said...

You don't have to give us a photo of you in your corset. I would love to see a photo of you doing the geriatric sideways splits.

Take care Moose.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy. Thanks very much Actually it is Lin who does the sideways splits.

BRUNO said...

Hey, we'll all be here waitin'! And for sure, let us know HONESTLY if the operation is a real success, or just a temporary "stop-gap"!

Maybe the rest of us can "enjoy the fruits" of YOUR pain! Or at least make us wonder if it was all worth it!

Go for it, hang in there, and all that stuff! Remember: "No Pain, No Gain"!

Of course that didn't help, but, hey.....!

alphonsedamoose said...

Bruno, thanks very very much. I will let you know honestly.I certainly hope it will be all worth it.
I can hardly wait to gt back and caught up with your great blogs.