Monday, June 18, 2007

HOSPITAL ROOMMATE

For those of you who have spent time in the hospital, you know that you do not get a choice of roommates. During my recent stay,I got to know one of the fellows in the next bed fairly well.

On Wednesday night, I did not get a lot of sleep because this older gentleman kept complaining that he was cold and would constantly ring for the nurse. Of course, every time she came in, enough noise was made to wake both myself and the third guy in the room.This older fellow, Harold, would be constantly ask for a warm blanket because he was cold. It seemed to me to be about 90 in the room and I remember thinking, "how could he be cold?"

All night long he would complain , so I didn't get a lot of sleep.

The next day, we started talking and he told me about himself. He was in for a broken hip, thigh and knee ,all on the left leg.No wonder he was in pain. He had been there for over 3 weeks. As the day went on this older lady came to visit him and we talked for a few minutes. She told me that Harold would most likely have o go to an assisted living facility where he could get help during the day or evenings if he needed it. She also informed me that she was Harold's daughter, not his wife. She was 68 years old and Harold was 98. I could hardly believe it. Here was a very nice fellow who had been living on his own for a number of years,who was 98 years old. He was as sharp as a tack. He could remember things from before I was born. To put it simply, he was amazing. When my family came in, they saw his daughter and they too, thought it was his wife. He certainly did not look to be as old as he was. I am still in awe of the clarity of his mind. And when you think about how many old people die from broken hips, I could understand why he was in so much pain.

During the next day and a half, we spent a lot of time talking and I realized a lot of his pain and complaining was simply because he was lonely and wanted some attention. I can't say that I blame him. Only his daughter came to visit until the day I was leaving. The staff was short with him and sometimes treated him with very little compassion. I know it is there job to make sure he gets moving, but there are better methods than some of them used.

When you think about all he has seen or done in his 98 years, it boggles the mind. Not only has he seen the turn of a century, a new millennium , but he has almost lived for a century. He has witnessed the development of planes and seen men walk on the moon. He has gone from crystal radio sets to television and the Internet.

So Harold, Here's to you. I hope you make your century

10 comments:

Lin said...

I bet you were the kindliest roommate he has had or will have. Bless ya!

alphonsedamoose said...

I tried

Anonymous said...

Gone are the days when nurses would sit by a patient's bed, hold their hand, listen to their stories. Our medical costs would be through the roof if that were still true.

This old fellow was probably very lonely. Over the years he's obviously lost his wife and one by one his friends have gone into care homes or passed away. When you get to be that old some kind of care home can be a good thing in that there is plenty of company even though the old folks seem to fight going to those places.

So nice of you, Moose, to take the time to chat with this man. It's amazing how much he has experienced in his lifetime.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy:My thoughts exactly. Amazing to be that old and that sharp.

Anonymous said...

I was in the grocery store yesterday getting some Becel and happened beside a very smart looking woman with white hair, gorgeous skin, sparky eyes and smile, and a nice red and black outfit.

She asked me to read the price sign of the butter for her which I did. She picked the least expensive (that's my girl) and put it in her cart.

She thanked me and said with a twinkle that she was 87 and didn't see as well as she used to. I was stunned. She looked early 70's. I thought if butter makes you look that good and walk that gracefully I'm switching.

alphonsedamoose said...

You probably made her day too, babzy

BRUNO said...

I was fortunate enough, for my last "visit" to a hospital, to have been treated to a PRIVATE room!

Cost was somewhat higher, but it was well worth the expense!

Doc threatened to get me one of those shirts that has "Doesn't Play Well With Others" printed on the front!

I guess he was only HALF-joking, huh???

alphonsedamoose said...

Bruno, I had asked for a private but none available. I think you probably play just fine with others, just choosy with your playmates.

BRUNO said...

Of course you're right! I get along very well with others---especially if they're AT LEAST 300 feet away from me!

I don't like PEOPLE---they SCARE me!!!

alphonsedamoose said...

Brno: Yeah , there are some pretty freaky people out there