Saturday, November 17, 2007

TIME FLIES

Where does the time go? I was reminded today that I haven't posted in a week. I don't know why but the time has just flown by.

A lot of my time has been spent with Owen. Kristin was called in to substitute teach yesterday and so I went over to their house at 7:30 in the morning. When you have been off work on disability for as long as I have, this is early. I certainly didn't mind though. He normally sleeps until about 9:30 but yesterday he was wide awake at 8: 20.
He was a little surprised when I walked into his room instead of his mother or father, but not really bothered by it. He is certainly comfortable enough with other members of our family.

We went downstairs and he went to his highchair. He sat there quietly eating a piece of toast with peanut butter and a glass of milk while I made him two scrambled eggs. He loves scrambled eggs. He has this for breakfast just about every day.

After breakfast, it was a diaper change and get dressed, then into the basement to play. I took the paper down with me thinking I might be able to read it while he played with his toys. Ya, right! He expects me to play with him, which of course I FORCE myself to do. UH HUH! He has a ride-em toy that he loves. He hasn't quite figured out how to use his feet to make it go yet.so I push him on it. Yesterday, I taught him how to say "Push Grandpa". He hasn't yet perfected it but he is getting there.

Most of the morning was spent going from toy to toy to toy. He finds vwry innovative ways to play with some of his toys.

We did go out for a walk but it was pretty cold and I forgot his mitts. We weren't out long. We came home and he had a snack of old Cheddar. He loves strong cheese. We also had a few cookies and milk.

We did do something new . He has a ball that is about the size of a soccer ball, but light weight. Usually he picks it up and 'throws " it. I thought I would kick it to him and play keep away. After about one minute he had the idea and was starting to kick the ball around and trying to keep it away from me. I'll make a pro soccer player of him yet-- except for the faking injury. He also decided he would like to wrestle. This, too was a first time event.

At 12:00 he had lunch-spaghetti, milk, water, juice, yogurt. While I cleaned up he went to play in the dog kennel. Somehow he pinched his finger in the door when he was closing it. No damage but a bit of crying.Then downstairs for more play.

At 1:30 I was exhausted so I took him up for his nap. As soon as I closed the blind in his room, he knew he was going to bed. As placed him in the cry, he started to cry. He was raring to go. He held his little arms out to me with this "you're deserting me look" on his face. within a minute of me going into he basement, I could hear on the baby monitor that he was asleep. I had to wake him at 3:30 when Kristin got home. He was still very tired. As for me , I slept very very well last night.

I think I am enjoying him so much because when you are the parent and working, you miss a lot of the little things kids do as they grow and learn.

8 comments:

Lin said...

"Push Grandpa" ... w-a-i-t a minute here ... you're not making Owen push Grandpa around on his riding toys, are you?! Like a linebacker in training or something? He certainly has the physique for it so maybe on second thought "Go Coach Grandpa Moose!" The CFL will thank you!

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it.......
Yeah, he is pretty solid for his age. I think if anything he will probably drive dragsters like his dad and other grandpa. You just never know.

Hope Walls said...

I know what you mean about time slipping away. I have been the laziest blogger the last month. I'm hoping things will settle down soon. I miss writing, and I miss visiting all my blogland buddies.

Catmoves said...

I can remember that look when you put the child down for a nap. Tore me up, too.

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: It is a heart-breaker isn't it. And they learn to perfect it so fast.

alphonsedamoose said...

Ticblog. Ay least you have a good excuse with the big project and all. I just haven't had a lot to say or time to say it.

Bonita said...

How fortunate for you and Owen to be such good buddies. Oh yes, I do remember those days of spending 20 minutes getting the little ones dressed to go out to play in the snow. Within five minutes they'd be whining to come back inside. Really, the work involved is considerable, but so rewarding.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Alphonse...

alphonsedamoose said...

Bonita, Thank you so much. Our Thanksgiving was last month but I appreciate the thought.
I am really lucky to be able to spend so much time with Owen. He just brightens my whole life .