Tuesday, November 6, 2007

MY STRANGE DOG

As those of you who have read this blog for a while,you know this beautiful German Shepherd is my dog Kaito. He came to us about a year ago and was a security dog before that. He is very friendly and meets the standards for German German Shepherd dogs. He is most definitely a pure-bred.

Because he has only one descended testicle we had him checked by a vet. She said more than likely he would never be able to breed . She also suggested that if we got him neutered, it would be a good idea to remove the undescended testicle. Apparently they can become cancerous if not removed.

Today was the day. I took him to the vet this morning at 8:30. Surgery was supposed to be at 10:00. About 10:45 the vet phoned and said they could not get the undescended testicle unless they went in through the abdomen. This would cost a little more. I agreed , figuring, better to pay a little more than have him possibly get cancer. That can be a lot more expensive. I was supposed to pick him up this afternoon.

At approximately 12:30 the vet called. Kaito was alright, but the surgery had been interesting. While they were in the abdomen to remove the testicle, they also removed............ his uterus. It turns out he is a hermaphrodite. Both male and female. When you think about it, it is quite funny. He should be okay and I can pick him up tomorrow. They just want to keep him overnight for observation.

I just wonder what would have happened if we had bred him. Would he be a mother or a father?
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

YesBut said...

I just had to pay a visit to your blog, after reading your satirical caption on YesBut Images. Brilliant.

I am glad I paid a visit, what an interesting blog. The vet should pay you for the experience of operating on an hermaphrodite.

Now the next time you call the dog to you do you say here boy or here girl?

alphonsedamoose said...

yesbut: Thank you for coming to lokk. I appreciate it.
I check with the about paying me but I don't have much hope.
The question Mrs. Moose and I had was: Could he/she have his/her own puppies? LOL
Do you mind if I add you to my interesting blogs list?

Bonita said...

Very interesting development, I must say. I wonder if this phenomenon occurs in all animals. Genetics are sure a surprise, for sure!

alphonsedamoose said...

Bonita: It sure shocked us. I guess it could happen in all mammals. , but not very often. Freak of nature I guess. I think it may be because of his recessive gene. That is why he is all black.

BRUNO said...

I guess I don't need to tell you that it happens in humans, as well.

I have to agree with YESBUT---seems like they could "cut you a little slack" on the pricing. Have you considered your local paper for a story-entry? Might be worth a little bit of "monetary-incentive", from THEM to YOU, for such...?

Lin said...

Oh my, a surprise indeed! No wonder he ... urr ... she (?) couldn't quite commit to that other family jewel. So it is now Kaito or Kaitie? What a beautiful GS though - just stunningly handsome ... or pretty, as the case may be.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: he s a beautiful dog. I guess we call him he, because the uterus wasn't fully developed.What a shock though.

Unknown said...

Well, its a beautiful dog, no matter what gender. I bet he gets along with all the other dogs, too. I can hear them now,
"There's something about that dog that just ain't right..." "Yeah, I know what you mean, when I sniff him, he's male, but I dream about him every night."

alphonsedamoose said...

Just me: Yes , he is a beautiful dog. I love the thought process of the other dogs.

Hope Walls said...

WOW.

alphonsedamoose said...

Ticblog; That was about our reaction too. Who would have thought it?