Sunday, February 24, 2008

You might be a Canadian if ...





  25 Signs That You Might Be a Canadian
 
1. You're not offended by the term "HOMO MILK".
 
2. You understand the phrase "Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield."
  
3. You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars.
 
4. You drink Pop, not Soda.
  
5. You know that a Mickey and 24's mean, "party at the camp, eh!!!"
  
6. You don't care about the fuss with Cuba. It's a cheap place to go for your holidays, with good cigars.
  
7. You know that a pike is a type of fish, not part of a highway.
  
8. You drive on a highway, not a freeway.
  
9. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.
 
10. You know that Casey and Finnegan were not part of a Celtic musical group.
  
11. You get excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada.
 
12. You brag to Americans that; Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & Mike Myers are Canadians.
  
13. You know that the C.E.O. of American Airlines is a Canadian!
 
14. You know what a toque is.
  
15. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
 
16. You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced "Zed".
 
17. Your local newspaper covers the national news on 2 pages, but requires 6 pages for hockey.
 
18. You know that the four seasons mean: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road work.
  
19. You know that when it's 25 degrees outside, it's a warm day.
 
20. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.
  
21. You know how to pronounce and spell "Saskatchewan".
 
22. You perk up when you hear the theme song from 'Hockey Night in Canada'.
  
23. You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade.
 
24. "Eh?" is a very important part of your vocabulary, and is more polite than, "Huh?"
  
25. You actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all of your Canadian friends! 
(Then you send them to your American friends just to confuse them!)




17 comments:

Lin said...

Remember Lucier's 'les patates' and she'd always ask " ... avec a la sauce?" Had you ever heard anyone say poutine back then?

alphonsedamoose said...

I just about lived there. Played pool in the basement every night and then had a Club sandwich( best in the world ), frites and a Pepsi.
Never heard of poutine until about 10 years ago.Certainly wasn't in Hudson.

Lin said...

Good ... so I'm not the only one who hadn't run into it - and I spent a LOT of time on the island, too. I'm wondering if this was something introduced by the Minister of Cultural Propaganda ... or maybe Martha Stewart? Not like it's a tortiere or something with a genuine history.

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin:That's probably what it was, ----something to keep their "culture" alive.

BRUNO said...

I'd almost KILL for a chance at #6 above...!

alphonsedamoose said...

Bruno, I thought that one would get you. If you ever come to Alberta, I will personally buy you a Cuban cigar. Hows that?

Catmoves said...

You brag to Americans that; Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & Mike Myers are Canadians.
Eh? I thought they all lived in Yankee land?
At one time I knew all the hand signals to order a round of drinks in Canadian Pubs, too.

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: Yes they are all Canadians living in Yankee land Eh. They will be trying to teach the yanks how to order good Canadian beer with just handle signals Eh. Maybe you could help eh. You seem to understand what we're talking about eh.
William Shatner is also a Canadian eh but we don't brag about him.

BRUNO said...

Moose, that's a deal!

And I wondered why you'd left out Shatner---hell, we don't need 'im, either! But, since he's here---well, "get in line"!

And, if you ever make your way to my neck of the woods in Missouri, I'll be certain to point out who NOT TO challenge with the states' motto of "The Show-Me State".....!

alphonsedamoose said...

Bruno, You got yourself a deal. Maybe one of these days, you just never know. Got to get a passport first.

Hope Walls said...

You forgot Alex Trebek, Pamela Anderson Lee, and Jason Preistly... all Canucks, defected to the US side of the border, spreading love and 'eh' for all the Yanks to learn.

I missed Casey & Finnegan when my kids were old enough to watch - did you ever see the gay stupid ugly replacements? I always secretly hoped Casey & Finnegan would pop out of the damned treehouse and say goodbye properly. But YOINK - they were gone, just like that. Ernie Coombs ~ so sad he died.

Hope Walls said...

And we ate a LOT of poutine growing up! Favourite lunch, but I could never figure out how people could add ketchup to the mix. ~urp~

alphonsedamoose said...

Ticblog; Casey & Finnegan were after my time. They were more my kid's time, but I do remember them. Haven't seen the replacement, not sure I want to.
There are actually a lot of Canadians in the U.S. Raymond Burr was another.
My kids learned what poutine was out here, but growing up in Quebec in the 50's & 60', I never heard of it.

Bonita said...

I'll try using 'Eh', rather than "Huh". Sounds so much better... :)

alphonsedamoose said...

Bonita, That's the way to do it, EH!

Unknown said...

I drive on a highway. I guess I have a little Canadian in me. Which reminds me of an old joke.........

alphonsedamoose said...

Deb: I know that joke. LOL