Monday, October 1, 2007

THAT TIME OF YEAR

With the autumn weather, each year we have the same chore to do. Rake the leaves.

As the colder weather approaches, the leaves of the trees begin to change color as the sap of the tree stops flowing. The leaves go from their summer green to vibrant golds, and yellows and reds depending on the tree. When the fall winds start to blow, the leaves begin to fall, carpeting the lawns in heir brilliant display.

In order to stop snow mold from growing and killing the grass,it is necessary to rake them all up. This past weekend was the beginning of the season. And we had a little helper.

Who can remember the fun as a kid? The parents would rake the leaves into piles and the little kids would jump to them and scatter the leaves all over. The parents would have to re-rake. As we got older, it became our jobs (chore) to rake the leaves. Depending on our ages we would still jump in the piles and rake them again and again.

Owen is just over a year old now and has never really seen the fall that he would remember. He probably won't remember this one either. But we thought, let's allow him to experience the joys we used to have. So the rake came out.

He watched very carefully while I raked a pile. He didn't know what to do , so I showed him how to throw the leaves and scatter them about. It didn't take long for him to catch on. I would rake and he would scatter. He even tried to rake some himself after we had buried his legs in the pile. He thought it was great fun. We didn't even have to pose him with the rake. He grabbed it himself. It was a little big (a lot actually) for him to wield but he tried.

We also taught him to listen to the crinkling noise that dry leaves can make and showed him how they come floating down when you throw them.


Next week, I think I'll teach him how to run through the pile and really scatter them.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely precious. Seems to me likes he's doing a pretty good job. Look at that concentration.

alphonsedamoose said...

Deb: He sure is curious about everything. And he does concentrate on everything before he does it.

Lin said...

Moose, let him go for the big fun now - put hearing protectors on him and let him blast away with the leaf blower! He'll love it (well, if it doesn't knock him over backwards first)!

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: Thanks for the idea, I never thought of that. Maybe this weekend.

Bonita said...

That little Owen is such a good helper. I still have garden tools for kids. At my age, they are now the easier to handle, and some of them are more durable than adult rakes, shovels, etc. We're hoping for a sunny day here, then we'll rake and mow.

alphonsedamoose said...

Bonita: I'M hoping my ids will do it. With my back the way it is, Raking is very painful.Or maybe I'll just get Owen out every day

Catmoves said...

moose, your love for Owen shows in everything you write about him. He's a lucky boy to have such a devoted fan in his grandpa.
And I'm waiting for the first snow, so you can show him how to build a snowman and pitch balls. Er, snow balls.

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: I LOVE this little guy like nothing else. He is so much fun. I, too , am awaiting the snow so we can go tobogganing and snow-ball making. Usually the snow is too dry here to make snowmen but we'll try.

Anonymous said...

He is the cutest little boy. (you're pretty cute too, Moose)

I love the look on his face doing man's work.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: Thank you from both of us. Are you flirting with me?
H rally does concentrate doesn't he?

Hope Walls said...

A post after my own heart, MooseyMooWho. I used to love playing in the leaves; now my allergies act up so bad it's not even funny... but it's worth popping an antihistamine or two so the kids can get in there anyways.

I absolutely will be watching for pictures of the run-and-scatter technique. I *especially* want pictures of Grampa demonstrating...

alphonsedamoose said...

Hope: I knew there would be somebody who loved to do it. It's a great thing to teach your kids. Fun is,well-fun.
As for the running through technique, maybe Owen but grandpa will e more of a walk-through.

Catmoves said...

Thought you might like to know I've nominated your blog at Blogger's Choice Awards. I couldn't find Ornery Old Moose class, so I came up with a couple of others.

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: Thanks very much for the nomination. I really appreciate it.
I think yours is one of the best out there and red it all the time. I miss it the days you don't post.
Thanks again.