Wednesday, October 17, 2007

LEARNING NEW THINGS

We have had Owen over at the house quite a bit during the last week and we love it. He is like a sponge absorbing water except he is absorbing and processing information.

When the two of us go for our walk each day, I talk to him about different things we see on our route. Usually we go to see the geese at the pond which is about a quarter of a mile from our house. He has learned to say "geese' and he knows where they are. As we get near the park area, we have to walk along a fence. About ten feet from the end of the fence, he leans forward and to the left to watch for the field and the pond. I always stop before walking into the area and he always points to the pond and says "GO"!. He knows the geese are there.

When we come home, about two houses away, he starts to call for his grandma so I think he knows where the house is also. As we come up the walk, he is waving in case Grandma is watching.

He is very secure being here. When Kristin dropped him off the other day, we stood outside as she drove away. Was he worried? Not a bit. He waved goodbye to her and then headed up the walk to the house calling the dogs. He even stopped part way and looked back at us as if to say, "well come on, lets go".

We tried to get him to help pick up pine cones and put them IN the pail but he was more interested in taking them OUT. He removed them as fast as we put them in. He thought it was great fun.

He also has a thing for phones. I think it is because when he pushes the buttons, they beep. We have to watch carefully to make sure he is not calling someone accidentally, especially long distance. We have tried to get hi to use the walkie-talkie instead of the phone but it just doesn't seem to be quite the same. As you can see he is certainly interested in them but is not sure exactly how they work yet. I figure about another month and he'll know. Am I prejudice or what?

He tries to use them the way you would a telephone. He holds it up to his ear and says"LO". If someone talks back on the phone he quickly hands it to myself or my wife. Because he can't say phone clearly yet, he uses hand signals. Whenever he wants the phone, he puts his hand to his ear and talks.

This has be a tough week for him also. Kristin wanted to get some family pictures of him bruise free. Yesterday morning as we were outside, he decided he could run up the walk. Yup, you guessed it. He tripped and went head first onto the cement and brought up a nice big bruise and bump on his forehead. Then in the evening he was in his Grandma's computer room and lost his balance. Clipped his chin on the coffee table on the way down. Typical little boy. I'm sure they won't be the last bumps he takes. I think the most amazing thing is he only started walking about two and half months ago and now he is starting to run. He loves to be chased and runs way laughing as hard as he can.

He also loves to play peek-a-boo. He uses the drapes in Mrs. Moose's computer room to hide behind. He will stand here very quietly until you call him or say "where is Owen?' He then peeks around the drapes with the biggest grin and laugh which is totally infectious.

He loves unconditionally and brings joy and laughter to our lives.

10 comments:

Hope Walls said...

The pictures are big red x's for me, Moose! I love playing peek-a-boo with kids. It's actually one of my dirty little photography secrets on getting little ones just about Owen's age to smile for me. I hide behind the camera, and peek out - they smile! Kids also love hearing the click of the camera - I always pretend to be SO surprised when I hear the click. But the children have to be at least Owen's age. Such a fun age, and you wrote it up so perfectly!

alphonsedamoose said...

Ticblog: I have no idea why the pictures are red X's. They show up fine on my computer so I am not going to be much help here.
This really is a fun age for them. He thinks it is so neat when w act surprised and say: "OH! there he is!" It's like he is teasing you.

alphonsedamoose said...

Ticblog: I think the pictures are because there is a scheduled maintenance at 4:00. that's my guess anyway.

alphonsedamoose said...

I think there are gremlins. The pictures keep disappearing and re-appearing.

Unknown said...

Its the google monster eating them, I think. Gosh, this brings back memories. Grandpa is a lucky man...

alphonsedamoose said...

Just me: That he is.I get to spend time with him almost everyday

Catmoves said...

moose, I checked the properties of the "photos" here and they came up "http//localhost:3034/82490859118b2f5c3cb94e8591286a0/image2628.jpg"
"http://alphonsedamooseramblings.blogspot.com/"

No idea what happened.

You can let Owen know that he can call me any old time he wants to chat for an hour or two.

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: I have no idea where the pictures disappeared to. Abducted by aliens maybe.
I'll let Owen know to call you as soon as he can say a full sentence. LOL

Anonymous said...

Usually at that age they get on the phone but don't say anything. As soon as you hang up they start talking. Little cutie.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: that is exactly what he does after the "LO'. Doesn't say a word until after you get off.