Thursday, December 27, 2007

CHRISTMAS EVE AND CHRISTMAS DAY

As I mentioned in my previous post, the first time we tried to put Owen to bed, he was not a happy camper. In the first picture he has been informed that it is nightie-night time. The reaction was priceless. When we saw the picture, the first caption we thought of was"That sentence is too long. I'll be good" He went to bed anyway and screamed for about 40 minutes. I guess he was just too hyped up to sleep. We did allow him back down to the party.

When we were in the basement getting gifts, Erin was given very nice pillows. Mark said that Owen had done the wrapping job. Not too bad for 15 months.Mark apparently held the paper in place and Owen went around and around the package with the scotch tape. He has so much on the wrap that Erin had trouble getting the gift opened. It was a great laugh watching her try to get the pillows out.

Once she had it open, Owen thought it would be great fun to lie on the pillows. But because there is a plastic wrap over them he kept sliding off onto the floor. Great!! New game!! He spent the next 15 minutes minutes getting on the pillows and then sliding off,
usually head first. We were in hysterics watching him. It was like he was on a mechanical bull.

Christmas day, while Mark, Kristin and Owen were at Mark's parents, we went into Erin's for dinner, She had a really nice turkey with all the trimmings. She too was just getting over the flu but did a great job of hosting anyway.

Erin is also left-handed. Because of this she has always had a tough time carving meat, or writing, or peeling potatoes, This is a world made for right handed people. She has found the solution. There is a place in England that caters to "lefties". She has been able to buy a left-handed pen, a left handed potato peeler, a left-handed carving knife and even a left handed clock. When she told us about the clock we thought "oh sure". But as you can see in the pictures it really is a left handed clock. All the hands move counter clockwise. Pay special attention to the numbers. See!

Even the writing is for left handed people. Figure out what it says.

Great time was had by all.

As of yesterday, Erin, Mrs. Moose, Moose's mother, son Craig, Mark-all had a recurrence of the flu.Guess who the nurse is ? Now I just need the uniform.

Happy New Year everyone.


Posted by Picasa

29 comments:

YesBut said...

Next year Owen will be even more excited.
Glad you had a good time,
Shame about the flu - nurses uniform, black stockings and suspender belt - enough enough going for a cold shower. :)

Lin said...

Moose, what a neat clock! I would think that most dyslectics would REALLY appreciate it ... I did.

alphonsedamoose said...

YesBut; That's exactly the uniform I had in mind. Make that an icy cold shower.

alphonsedamoose said...

YesBut; That's exactly the uniform I had in mind. Make that an icy cold shower.

alphonsedamoose said...

LIn: Isn't that the neatest clock. Apparently this club Erin joined caters especially to left handers.I bet they have some weird and wonderful stuff.

Bonita said...

I figure a lot of little ones experienced 'over-stimulation' during the holidays. Their little systems just don't have enough life experience to know how to regulate the extremes. Traveling can be the worst, as they'll want to see everything until exhaustion takes over. Then, they're so tired they can't fall asleep. I really was cautious about this condition when raising my kids, cause they were always a little hyper-active. If Owen finally fell asleep, I hope he became well-rested. I know it was a BIG day for him.

alphonsedamoose said...

Bonita: He was okay once we left. He slept through the night and woke up well rested. I know what you mean about them having a hard time adjusting. His parents keep him on a schedule for nap time and bedtime. I think that makes it easier for him to maintain his good disposition.

Anonymous said...

I heard there was a leftie store on Vancouver Island, too. Probably a few around but not enough.

My son is left handed. He was complaining about it one day and I told him he's special because only 10% of the population is left handed just like 10% of the population is gay. He thought I was calling him gay and was so mad he stomped out of the house shouting I'M NOT GAY!! I had a lot of explaning to do.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy; My daughter used t belong to one out of B.C. It didn't have nearly the products this one in the UK has or that is my understanding.
We used to tell her she was backward. She said she is the new evolution. It seems lefties are becoming more prominent now.

Erin said...

In other words, I'm more evolved that you "righties"....

BRUNO said...

Man, I've got enough trouble keepin' a NORMAL clock in the right "time"!

I love some(most!)folks today, when they ask me the time, instead of 10:45, I'll say, "It's a quarter-til eleven", to which they'll reply,"Huh? A quarter of what?"

I hate digital clocks, they seem so hard to judge elapsed time by! Guess that keeps me stuck in the past-times---literally....!

alphonsedamoose said...

Bruno: Some of us Canucks use both terms up here.Don't ask me why.
I much prefer watches and clocks with the dial on the face. Pretty soon with only digital clocks, people won't be able to tell time with the dial type face. It will be a lost art

alphonsedamoose said...

Erin: I didn't say that. I said YOU said you were the new evolution. Lefties are only more prominent now because we let them do things that way.It is fun to watch them in a right-Handed world. LOL

Anonymous said...

It's fun watching them try to write something. Their arms are all twisted around and their writing looks like it's falling over. Using scissors or a can opener is a barrel of laughs, too. har har

I heard that there are more lefties now because there are more older mothers now. The older the mother, the greater chance of having a south paw.

Erin said...

...lenil eht neewteb daer I.

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: Erin even got a left handed pen. To see how strange this Moose family is, read her last comment.

alphonsedamoose said...

ecaps knalb a tsuj si senil eht neewteb.
BTW what is a lenil? Shouldn't that be senil?

Catmoves said...

Geeze Moose. English, as she is wrote, is complicated enough. Reading it left to right confuses so many people now that the change suggested here will be the final blow to our education system.
Do you suppose we could teach it to our invaders?
Seems to me kindergarten taught the kids who couldn't tell time enough of the numbers to read a clock face.
We could liken the inability to read a dial clock to the inability to "count back the change" when giving money back to a purchaser.
Imagine the clerks having to read right to left? Hahahaha.

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: Welcome to the Brave New World. With some of the clerks I've had, they would need to learn to read left to right first. LOL

Anonymous said...

Isn't lentil some kind of bean? I think you're all full of lentils.

Happy New Year Moose and gang.

YesBut said...

Happy New Year to you and your family.

alphonsedamoose said...

YesBut: Thank you very much. Happy New Year to you and Mrs. YesBut also

alphonsedamoose said...

Babzy: Yes a lentil is a beans. I know I am full of something but what?
LOL
Happy New Year to you

Hope Walls said...

Looks exhausting. And the clock makes me feel dyslexic... lol

Looksa like you guys had a great time. Here`s hoping the flu had made its rounds and is on the way out. Happy New Year!

alphonsedamoose said...

Ticblog: That is some clock isn't it.
The flu finally caught up to my oldest son last night. Now I am the only one who hasn't had it YET.I hope it stays that way.

Unknown said...

It says time flies, and its 26 to seven....I had to say that. My son is left handed, and he's accident prone to prove it.

Owen, cute as ever, but boy what an angry face there...Papa, what you been doing to that boy?

alphonsedamoose said...

Deb: you are absolutely right o what it says and the time.
Maybe your son should join a lefties club. Erin says sit is amazing the difference using the proper tools.
His dad was makng him go to bed and he didn't wan to.

Catmoves said...

OK. Moose. No post since December? I am guessing your fingers have frozen together or you're mad at us. Which one is it?
(Wonder if he'll try to blame it on Owen?)

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: No I am not mad at anybody. I've just seem to be really busy with my mom here,Owen here,back to work and fighting the flu. I know I have been remiss and I most humbly beg everybody's forgiveness. I will try to post tonight or tomorrow. I Promise!