Tuesday, May 8, 2007

WHAT'S IN A GNOME?

As some married couple begin to age , they start to do some strange and mind-boggling things. Especially if they have been married more than 20 years. This is not necessarily a bad thing but rather a show of love and affection for each other. It was thus with Mrs. Moose and I.

It started about 10 years ago, when June bought me a couple of small gnomes for Father's Day. Why she bought them I'm not really sure. I think it was more of a joke than anything. I put them in the garden where we would be able to see them when we walked around.

The very next day after I came home from work, I was out in the garden and they were gone. " What the heck?" I thought,"I know I put them right there". Looking around the yard I spotted one peeking out from some daffodils and another under a bush. AHA!! There was June standing in the patio door laughing. She had hidden them on me, watching to see how long it would be before I noticed. Not long.

The next day, I was home and June went out somewhere. This was my chance. I went out to the yard and re-hid the gnomes in a tree and behind some rocks. That was the start of two grown people ( supposedly) hiding gnomes on each other or the next 4 months. Not only that. For Christmas, as a surprise , I bought June a gnome of her own. Little did I know that she had bought me a book on the official history and lifestyle gnomes including their ancestry and house building techniques.

For the next several years, we bought at least one or 2 gnomes per year. We even found one that sort of resembled my father, another that is a drunk and one that gardens. June's sister has sent us a gnome that is in a sitting position. He has a spot of honour on one of the rocks right beside our pond.

To add ridiculousness to silliness we have even gone one step further. June has made the sign for this and it hangs on the arbour in our yard. She even painted a little gnome on it." What is this sign?" you ask. We decided to take a page out of the movies and from the Deep South We named our property. And the name of the property is............... are you ready for it? GNOME MAN'S LAND

3 comments:

Lin said...

You were 'trolling' for a groan, weren't you? Well, it worked!

Catmoves said...

Agreeing with lin. And I'm glad to find just who it is that is keeping the gnome makers of Taiwan in business. How about a picture or two?

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: don't know if I have pictures or not. I'll check and if I do, I'll post them