Monday, May 7, 2007

WE ARE PROFESSIONALS, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

A few years ago, my wife and I decided we would put up some bird feeders in our back yard. We live in a suburb and are right on the outskirts. To the east is nothing but a farmers field and a tree line. We thought that putting up a feeder would attract different and colourful birds to our yard. Also the various chirps, tweets and songs would bring an extra serenity to our hectic lives.

We have a garden in the back and the yard is completely fenced. We decided to hang the feeder from an old real-estate sign post that we had gotten from somewhere. You know the kind made from metal with the arm that hangs out at 90 degrees so a for sale or sold sign can be hung. This would make an ideal post for hanging the feeder.

I waited for a good rain to come and go, so that the ground would be soft enough to drive in the post. I got my small "persuader" so that I could drive the post down far enough so that it would be solid. The post was about eight feet tall before going into the ground. Put it in two feet and it wold not move.

Out to the garden I went. I figured I could ram the post into the ground far enough that it would stand upright while I was on the ladder with my "persuader". I just planned on hammering it down the two feet necessary. I got a good grip on the vertical metal part of the post and rammed it in the ground. Not hard enough or far enough . I decided to try again, this time with a lot more force, Crash!!!. I threw all of my body weight into the thrust. So hard I ended up on my knees.

I remember June running out to see if I was alright. I staggered over to her and said we better go to the hospital. Why? you may ask.

For a very simple reason. When I had rammed the post into the ground, I had forgotten about the arm that sticks out. As I was ramming down, the very end of the arm had caught the top of the fence. The pole turned just enough in my hands so that arm spun around and hit the top of my head. I very nearly knocked myself out. I certainly cut my head enough for stitches. June had witnessed the whole thing and thought I had done some serious damage as my knees just buckled and I went down.

When we knew I was okay, we had a good laugh about what a stupid thing I had done

So remember: WE'RE PROFESSIONALS. DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME

No comments: