Saturday, May 5, 2007

PUTTING UP PINE PANELING

As I sit here at my computer, my better half is in the basement putting pine paneling on the walls. This is not something I am making her do. She asked me to show her how to do it the way I wanted it done. We have about 30 packages of paneling to do. Because of my back situation, she will not allow me to help and I have been banned from watching.

She called me own about an hour ago to show her what to do with the nail gun, , saw, square, etc. Now my wife does know something about tools, unlike those people on "Canada's Worst Handyman". When I went down ,she started to clean an area to work while I watched. She did this for about 10 minutes and there was still more to go. Why I was there, I have no idea. I left and came back upstairs. When she was ready the second time , I had to bring a paper towel with me because she had found a dead mouse. Deathly afraid of mice. Once it was removed ,we proceeded to get the compressor ready. As it filled with air , the hose and nail gun were attached. I had already shown her how to load the gun with the brad nails.

We proceeded to put up the first piece and nail it in place, making sure it was vertical using a level. I must admit, when it came to the second place, we had to loosen the first one a bit, because it was so it too tight to the wall. The tongue and groove would not match up. We got the second piece tacked in where we wanted it.

Since we are going to have a drop ceiling, we really didn't have to cut pieces to length . Anything a bit too high is going to be hidden anyway. After abut 4 pieces we came to the first cut which has to go around a floor joist . June got the piece measured using the piece beside as a template for the proper height.

As she got this shorter piece ready she had it all properly measured and squared. It was at this point she requested that I show her how to use the hand saw.(Slap my head, roll my eyes, stifle laugh). She got the piece cut and actually did a very good job. As she was tapping the pieces into place, I noticed that she was using the mallet and sort of hammering into the tongue. I showed her how to slide the mallet along the wall into the tongue so as not to damage it. After another 2 pieces of being hammered in, I told her I was going to nominate her for "Handyman 3". She said I couldn't knit. LOW BLOW!!

She told me to leave but I said I wanted to see what she was going to do with the heating pipe that will be boxed in. She measured and cut and was ready to nail. I stopped her here and said to use the piece she had cut as a template for the height of the next 6-7 pieces that she would need. After explaining why (only once) she agreed that this would be a good Idea.

So I left and came to write my blog. June has since come up and told me she is learning a lot. Like what? Well , you should check the piece and make sure it isn't split before you cut it. Also check the piece and cut off the bad end , not the good. Oh, and it can really get hot in the basement while you do this. With great pride she said,"ask me how many more pieces I have put up?". Dummy that I am, I did so. ZERO!!!!! She has been cutting pieces all the time I have been writing this with my 2 finger method.

If I was smart I would not even publish this blog but.........someone wicked, this way writes

I may buy her a tool-belt for Mother's Day

I figure it this way. If I can each her enough about this, when I retire ,golf and fishing will be a reality. She knows how to build.AND I DON"T WANT TO LEARN TO KNIT!!!

5 comments:

June said...

You buy me a tool belt and you'll sleep in the garage !!

( In 34 years I have never seen this househusband ever use an IRON except on the fairways!!! [Even though he has constantly professed to knowing how to use one-- ya know the one that goes with an ironing board ! Ya right !]Nor have I ever seen him sew on a button or change a dirty diaper .. }

Lin said...

Alphonse ... n-i-c-e try. I wish I had been as intelligent as June about 30 years back.

June - way ta go! I am proud of you (as Alphonse obviously is). But I promise that I won't drag out the tools when you guys come to visit, at least not on the first day.

Erin said...

I bet mom only had to cut once :)

Hippos said...

Dad, could you please have the valance ready for Saturday??

Thanks,

Kristin

June said...

You're right, Erin !!! I only had to cut ONCE !!!!!!!!
Kristin, it'll be a while til the valance is done -- I haven't finished the threading the needle lesson :D