Friday, March 30, 2007

True Love

For those of you who have had a heart attack, you will understand my concern in this story. For those of you who haven't , just enjoy.

My wife works at a school where every year , they take a class out to the mountains and climb at Miette Hot Springs. Miette is about 3000-4000 ft above sea level. When the school goes in the spring, the weather is not always the best and some of the kids need help getting to the top. Even some of the teachers have needed help.he first year my wife went there was snow knee-deep in some spots . The Summit is 2100 feet above the hot springs.

About a year after my heart attack, my wife suggested we go and climb this mountain. YEAH RIGHT! The doctors want you to exercise after an attack but I thought this was a bit much. " Don't worry", my wife said."We'll go slow and easy and you'll be fine. By the way, is your insurance paid up?" I asked what she would do if we needed help. Our son,C would go with us just in case.

So, one summer day, off we went. Arriving at Miette we got out our ski poles(makes climbing easier) and set off for the trail head. Not bad. The trail is paved. Off we went. After about 100 yards, the pavement ends and the trail becomes 1-2 people wide. It also goes up at about a 30 degree angle. OH!OH! Slow and steady. Not too bad. About 5 minutes later, my heart was pounding and I had to stop. "Am I nuts or what?" ,I was thinking. My wife said it would be fine and we would just take our time. Okay, away we went.
I must admit my body adjusted and the going was not too bad

About a third of the way up the trail splits into two. The nice smooth flat trail goes off to a lake and the narrow steep trail goes to the summit. We were going to the summit. Approximately one hundred yards after the split the trail gets even steeper and the switch-backs begin. I commented about how much steeper this was and my wife said we would soon come to a meadow. From there. it would get evener steeper. " She's trying to kill me ", I thought. To test this theory, I asked her what she would do if I had a heart attack and died right there on the trail. "No problem. C and I will just put you off to one side out of the way and finish the climb. On the way back , we'll just ROLL you down the hill to the hot springs."

AH, YES! TRUE LOVE

We have since climbed in the mountains many times and just love it. Thank you my dear!

2 comments:

Lin said...

Da Moose, I like your wife already!
Mark threatens to compost me or leave me out for the coyotes if I succomb to the big one on one our our family health walks.

Lin

SCOTTGUV said...

Steve Congratulations on your coquering great heights as well as dealing with your heart situation