Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Aliens Among Us

The people who really enjoy reading or writing Science Fiction have always had this fascination that there were or are Aliens living among us. I have the ultimate and definitive proof that they are.

As some of you are aware, I have worked at renovation stores for the past 10 years or so and this is where the aliens come to shop. I'll give you some examples and you can decide for yourself or pooh pooh as most in the scientific community do.

At one of these stores, I worked in the decor department(no jokes please).In this department we would sell wall paper, pre-sized blinds ( 6 different colors) and special order blinds(size, color, length, width, cloth or plastic). You get the idea.
One particular day, a customer came in and said she would like to order some special order blinds. We proceeded to chose the fabric, color and the way they would open. At this point I asked her what the measurements of the window were.She proceeded to reach into her pocket and pull paper after paper out as well as a piece of thread. With great fanfare she undid the knotted thread and unrolled this great long piece . "This long ", she announced. At this point I knew she might be alien but I measured the string just to humour her. It was approximately 80 inches long. At this point she confirmed my suspicion. How, you asked? " The window is about 10 inches shorter than this", she said. And I knew.

Another time, I had a contractor (a contractor no less) come into the store and say he needed a cheap screen door. I proceeded over to the screen door aisle with him where the cheapest screen door we had was about $145.00. "Whoa, to much money. This is for a friend of mine." said he. "This is the cheapest we have ", says I. At which point he walked along all the doors until he came to one with a screen. He pulled it out of the rack and said"this will be perfect". I just looked at him "I could just add 2 small hinges and it would be a screen door" I knew then that he was one of them. How? He had chosen a replacement screen for a sliding patio door.

At one of the stores I worked at, we had an journeyman electrician on staff. He was there to answer questions and advise people how to do there own electrical installations. Simple stuff, nothing complicated. One time he had a gentleman come in needing advise on how to install a wall socket. The electrician went through the process step by step and even drew him a diagram.Away he customer went, confident in his ability to do the job. About an hour later he was back and not a happy camper.He went to the electrician and tore a strip off him using words that must be from another planet. What was the problem the electrician wanted to know. The gentleman had almost been blown across the room while he was attaching the wires. The electrician asked him if he had turned off the electricity. " What, you never told me to do that"
They are among us.

I'm sure we all know people like this and now we know they are here to invade. I meet more and more of them every day.

3 comments:

SCOTTGUV said...

damoose
when you work with the public as you know i do in the summer.anything goes. You wouldn't believe the questions i get so i can believe this alien "thing" to be true.
st

Catmoves said...

Aliens among us. Had a customer looking at paint once ask me to match a color she wanted to use. I waited. She waited. Finally I said "Do you have a sample of the color"? "No, it's sort of off white". She had to be one of your aliens.
(I should have told there's a guy in Canada who could help her.)

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: There are some aliens (like this one) that no one can help