Friday, March 28, 2008

BUSY, SPRING AND ICE CREAM

As you can tell by the title and the pictures it has been a busy time around here. What with Easter and the good weather on it's way(?) things at work have been very very busy. People once again are thinking of outdoor projects such as garages, decks and fences. So into our store they come. We also have a number of new staff and they are learning the ropes. In the meantime, those of us with experience are kept on our toes.

Of course, the best part of spring is the warming weather. It means no more heavy winter coats but rather lighter spring jackets. This has also freed Owen up to move more easily. He still likes to walk in the snow but would much rather play in the water and look under trees to find the pine cones that have fallen. There is not enough ice and snow on the sidewalks for him to scrape so I have been showing him how to move the water in the gutter.

We have also been making our own ice cream. Does he like ice cream?. The best way to answer that is to ask if the Pope is Catholic. Of course, he loves ice cream and knows exactly where it is kept in the freezer.

This particular day we had none. So I got the ice cream maker out and we made a batch in about forty minutes.

I always remember eating the icing off the beaters when my mom made a cake so I let Owen eat the ice cream of the paddle. It was like a duck taking to water. I think the more experiences he gets, the better.

I really believe that the more time you spend with kids when they are young , the better off they will turn out.




Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

YesBut said...

Running a finger around the bowl to scrape off the last of the cake mix - good old days

alphonsedamoose said...

YesBut:Weren't they great days/ I loved scraping the bowl.

Lin said...

Moose, even down here, people are lined up at the big box stores, ordering toilet seats to side their garages with. Sorry, couldn't resist and inside joke - it felt so G-O-O-D!

Looks like Owen is dressed to go moose hunting! I bet he is so happy to ditch the stiff winter wear and now able to get another step or two ahead of grandpa. Love that little moose face!

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: Oh you are o mean with the toilet seats. LOL
He is sure happy to be able to move more easily. The best thing is that he LOVES being outside with me or just by himself. That is so much healthier than being plunked in front of a T.V. And he just really loves to laugh and run.

Catmoves said...

That last pic of Owen describes it all, Moose. He is definitely thinking: "Mine. Mine. MINE! Where to start?"

Hope Walls said...

Oh, the pics of him licking the ice cream whisk!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

I'm with you on the eagerness for outdoor-ness!

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: Those seem to be his favourite words in the last week or so. Ice cream, cookies,cake are all- MINE

alphonsedamoose said...

Tiblog: I think the picture are priceless. He is obviously enjoying himself.

BRUNO said...

Forty minutes ain't a bad time for a bucket of REAL ice-cream!

Bet it's electric, too, ain't it? About the only place you can find a hand-cranker anymore is in the Lehmans' catalog probably.

Oh yes---I'll admit, the last batch I took part in, YEARS ago, was an electric-powered one---those hand-crankers made ya' EARN it, made your arms look like Popeyes', in no time flat...!

alphonsedamoose said...

Bruno: I remember those hand crank ice cream makers.
Even if this one is electric, the ice cream is delicious and the little moose loved it, as you can see.
I just want him to know that he can make things and not have to depend on getting everything from a store.

Bonita said...

Yes, kids thrive on attention, especially from Grandpas. My Dad was so good to his grandchildren, and they have so many wonderful, lasting memories. I was very fortunate to have him near.

alphonsedamoose said...

Hi Bonita: Owen and I have a very special relationship. While I was recuperating h gave me a reason to get my back healthy and we boned very well. We spent a lot of time together and I love it.